Like the year 2018 that lies ahead, this blog is a wide-open empty vessel. What I pour into it is all up to me. One of the things I’ve done many times over the years is to publish my goals for the year ahead. I did this many times, in 2016, my goals were somewhat modest. Looking back, I didn’t read the 12 books I vowed to, nor did I rejoin the gym. Sigh.
In 2015, my first goal of all was ‘stay alive.’ I had been diagnosed in November 2014 with SSL lymphoma, but no treatment was prescribed then. Still, I was terrified and I just wanted to make it through the year. Now, in 2017, I will begin chemotherapy on January 18, for two days and then follow it up in February and March with another round. I have been told that it’s not the old kind of chemo where you lose your hair etc, but still, it’s chemo. But I don’t have any of the dread and fear that came over me when I was diagnosed. I am surprised I am not more freaked, but I am ok.
In 2015 and 2016, I made the same goal, that is to become a podcaster and share some of the travel stories that writers send us to publish on GoNOMAD. I think the key here is to make it short, and not ponderous, and to find ways to seed questions so that the authors come off as articulate. It’s a work in progress.
I find that I keep ‘goaling’ about working outside of my house. The co-working space in Greenfield has been coming along, it might even be open.
For this year, I think I’ll keep it ‘doable’ and not stack too many goals in check with what can really happen. Here are my goals for 2018:
- Rid my body of lymphoma, let the Retuxin do its magic, get rid of this disease. Chemotherapy starts January 18. Hoping for the best.
- Exercise in some form, every day, and work on extending my run/walk so that it’s long and gives me what I need.
- Double my income from my website.
- Begin a podcast. Weekly or monthly, just try to get something going.
- Increase the number of visitors to GoNOMAD
- Figure out how to sell our own tours and see if we can organize a trip with another partner
- Go to Africa
- Be kinder, be quieter, be nicer and cultivate more harmony in our home.